Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Dreams of Dogs

Sometimes that part of your brain that kicks in and keeps you from acting out your dreams does not do so for Mrs. Wigglebottom. This has given me great insight into what she dreams about. Sometimes, she makes little suckling noises, and so, I think, she's dreaming about being a puppy at her mother's teat. This breaks my heart. Other times she makes this closed-mouth mrumgff noise, so, obviously, she's dreaming of barking at something. Yesterday, her legs were kind of flailing around and so she seemed to be dreaming of running. I suspect, for my own reasons, that she also dreams of flying, as there are plenty of times when we are out in the real world and she seems dejected by the limits of gravity. It's weird. Every day I go places that she cannot go with me and I doubt she sits around wondering where I am. But I'm incredibly curious about her dreams, where she goes when she's not with me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

Eh, I don't care that she doesn't dream about me. I just wonder what she does dream about. I wonder what the world looks like from her perspective.

And I think it's pretty amazing that she remembers being a puppy. It makes me wonder what a dog's memory is like. Scientists say they don't experience the passing of time the way we do (so they can recognize when you're gone, but not for how long), but she seems to remember parts of her life that are lost to me.

That I find intriguing and, maybe, I'm a little jealous that she's got a dream of an utterly safe and warm and fulfilled place, snuggled next to her brothers and sisters, up against her mom.

Wow, I never thought about the fact that she's got brothers and sisters out there in the world. I wonder if they're better behaved?

2/02/2005 01:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home