Friday, March 17, 2006

Freckles & Food

The sunburn I acquired from napping in the hammock is starting to fade and in its place I'm left with a face full of strange freckle constellations. I speak no Spanish, which isn't a problem if you never leave the hotel, but today I ventured out for lunch and ate something white and sort of potato-y but with a kind of bite and it was a little fibrous. It was delicious, but I don't know what it was. I didn't even know how to ask what it was. In fact, when I pointed at it and grunted so that the woman behind the counter would know I wanted it, I assumed it was some kind of fish. I was pleasantly surprised. I've done no sight-seeing, because my knee is still screwed up. But considering that my plan B has been sneaking onto the Hilton's hammocks and living a life of leisure, I'm not complaining one bit. If all of my foiled plans ended up with me sitting in the sun under a palm tree, that would be delightful.

4 Comments:

Blogger bridgett said...

Sounds like you either had plaintains or manioc. How was it prepared? If it was fried like a french-fry, it's probably plaintains. If it was boiled and a little on the bitter side, it's probably manioc.

3/17/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Nervous said...

I'm trying to imagine what this thing was that you ate! Let us know if you find out, eh, gringo?

3/17/2006 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

All you need to know:

Yo quiero una cerveza, por favor.

Donde es la bana?

3/17/2006 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I'm guessing jicama, if it was cool and crunchy. Yum!

3/18/2006 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home