Saturday, June 25, 2005

My Fantasy Tanya Tucker Album

At 11:30 this morning, when I finally decided to take a shower, I climbed into the tub and started singing "Delta Dawn," which, I believe, I was also singing at some point last night. When I was a little kid, I used to sing this song over and over and over again and sometimes my dad would play the guitar and other times he'd beg me to pick another song. All this got me thinking about my previous post and about how much I'd love to hear Tanya Tucker do a cover of "I'm Going to Hire a Wino (to Decorate Our Home)." And you know what? Tanya Tucker should do an album of covers called "Let Me Show You How It's Done." I'm trying to come up with ten songs I think she could just annihilate, just for fun. So far I've got four. 1. "I'm Going to Hire a Wino (to Decorate Our Home)." Every time I hear that song I think it could benefit from her delivery. It's too slick right now and it's sung by a man, which blunts the edge of the song. But she could record the definitive version of that song, no problem. 2. "Mississippi Girl." I'd love for her to take that song and fix it. I don't know how it can be fixed, but, if it can, she can do it. She's got the right sense of bravado and good humor to pull it off. 3. Any JoDee Messina song, just to remind the world that Messina's just a poor imitation of the master. Pick one of her big hits, Tanya, and put her in her place. 4. "Wrong Road Again." Crystal Gayle did this as a kind of straight forward smooth country song, but it would make an excellent bluegrass song if someone sped it up and put some twang to it. I'm going to mull this over a bit more and see if I can't think of some other songs that would benefit noticeably from her rendition.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! I love your blog, btw, and read it often. I want to be a southerner just so I can have your cooly ironic humor and your deft touch with the absurd. You and Flannery O'Connor, that is.
Anyway, how about JoDee's "My give-a-damn's busted" as the choice for Tanya? It's a lame song, but I can just hear Tanya singin' it like she means it...
Frankly, I think she'd do a hell of a job with "This Kiss," which is sort of a bubblegum piece, too. Did she ever cover "Stand by your man?" It doesn't need covering, of course, but she'd be awesome at it...

6/26/2005 04:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home