Friday, January 20, 2006

Old Man Blues

Here's something amusing. In 1966, my parents hadn't even met yet. My dad wasn't even preaching. Forty years ago, they were still kids. But it's not fair to think of it, forty years, I mean, as being so long ago. Really, I'm sure, for a mother the time must seem to go by very quickly. How she still remembers changing diapers or sending her boy off to school and how, when you're young, you think that thirty is ancient. Surely, you will never be thirty and your own son will never be forty. Real life catches up, though. The constant turn of the planet and soon enough, we're all older than we ever suspected we'd be. Thank god for that, I say. I'd rather be old and rowdy and breathing. The other option is so much worse.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peggasus said...

Yeah, it's weird getting older, but your brothers are still your brothers, even when they're 54 and 49 and 46. And there's my Mom, 80 years old, and all of her kids are in their 50s or near it. But in most ways it's all still the same, and I mean that in a good way.

And I am old, rowdy and still breathing. It really does keep getting better, even though your body can't keep up sometimes.

But I've said too much.

1/20/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

Isn't this Sarcastro's B'day? Is that what this is about? I asked him, but he refuses to answer.

Overtaken by shame, I guess

1/20/2006 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

40??? God, I hope I never get that old. But a lot of people hope I never get that old, too.

1/20/2006 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt B said...

That's absolutely the last time I spend twenty minutes trying to encode secret messages in bad poetry.

1/20/2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Peggasus said...

Damn, am I embarrassed now. I thought the secret message was for me on my extended birthday weekend.

I will get shit-faced on his behalf nonetheless.

1/20/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Huck.

Now go write something, you lazy bastard.

1/20/2006 07:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home