Monday, September 19, 2005

Renting a Car

I found my way to the Hertz shuttle and the driver stepped off and grabbed my bags for me. "Are you a Gold Member?" "No." "Well, I have to ask that." We sat in silence for a while; me staring at the mountains to our west, him watching traffic. "I've got to make another stop." He said. "I'm sorry." "That's fine with me. I'm in no hurry." "Hmm," he said, "Nobody's in no hurry." "Well, I'm in no hurry." "You think people hurry too much?" "Maybe most people are more important than I am. Maybe they've really got someplace they need to be." "Now, don't say that. If you're not important and I'm driving you around, what does that make me?" "Fair enough." "Plus, that's just how it is. It's about class. They got to make you think you aren't good enough so you'll want what other people got. Think of how many people run around trying to get all made up and here you are on my bus all relaxed and you got a natural beauty. You're a real natural beauty." Yep, a natural beauty. Let me tell you, when that's the first thing you hear upon arriving in a city, you become immediately predisposed to liking that city. When, after a leisurely stroll, you find a place that sells Jack Daniels chocolate chocolate chip ice cream, you start to love said city.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

I am away! This is just a treat for the folks who check in.

Maybe there will be more. Maybe not. A lot depends on how often I can sneek computer time.

9/19/2005 01:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! If I could be back there, I would be! If you're interested or get bored, here's the re-cap of my trip:
http://vivalalesley.livejournal.com/270826.html

No pictures on there from Bear Lake, but the day we went was the most beautiful, wonderful day ever (we spent two days in the park).

Have a great trip!

9/19/2005 05:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to agree that Aunt B has natural beauty. But then I realized I have no idea. But I know Professors never lie. So it must be true.

W

9/20/2005 07:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home