Thursday, November 18, 2004

Fiction!

One of the drawbacks of my job is that I rarely, if ever, read for fun anymore. However, while I was on my trip, I was trapped by a terrible manuscript and, in an act of defiance, I bought Johathon Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke to read instead. It's awesome and I recommend it highly to all y'all. It's been so long since I've read a good fiction book that I'm almost tempted to turn around and start reading it again. It's got magic and Raven Kings and English History and a man who is a book and a man who becomes a Reader and ships made out of rain and all kinds of cool stuff like that. And footnotes, footnotes! It's great. Oh, and Lord Byron! I feel like the Butcher, who reads just one book, ever, The Electric Koolaid Acid Test, which he regularly finishes and starts again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an almost exclusive fiction reader, I'm glad you got a chance to read something made up for fun. Right now I'm reading a mystery with a snappy narative, Fatlands by Sarah Dunant. It is short, so if you want to fit something else in for the end of your vacation, I would recommend that to you.

I'm glad to know that the Butcher reads like that. Whatever else I'm reading, I'm usually re-reading the highlights of one James Lee Burke or another at the same time. (Purple Cane Road right now)

My favorite quote on reading from this week, somewhat paraphrased, "My mom thinks I don't read enough so she gets me a gift subscription to Readers Digest. Sometimes I read it in the bathroom." That would make a heckuva read! poster like you see with the famous people on them at the public library. And yet, the speaker here can recount with great detail and fondness a series of books read in childhood.

For the record, I am not the speaker in this quote. I won the most books read for my summer reading program every year. That's part of how I became a-

SuperGenius

11/21/2004 10:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home