Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It Only Hurts for a While

Plimco is writing about blood. Wendy is writing about getting her ears pierced again. Those things fit nicely together if you drunkenly let your neighbor ram a safety pin through your ear just because it's free and you want more holes in your head. I have six holes in my left ear and three in my right. Like Wendy, I used to want to have my left ear completely pierced. I don't know why I stopped. I think three more would do it. But I did stop and then I got old and lost interest in even wearing new earrings in the holes I had, so I settled on some hoops and studs and rarely change them. I do love hoops, though. Anyway, we were talking about the last two piercings. I was drunk and my neighbor was drunk and I somehow talked her into doing it--about half way up my ear on each side. The first side went really well. No real pain, a little blood, but nothing to write home about. This, of course, was because she put the hole so close to the edge of my ear she didn't hit any cartilage. It looks fine, but I feel like it's barely in there. The second one, though, right through the cartilage. And, if I recall, we were using a safety pin, which are not known for their razor sharp qualities. She pushed and pushed and there's this trickle of blood--not a lot-- but I can feel it running down the side of my face and then, there's this sickening pop and I all of a sudden felt very hot and like I might throw up. And it wasn't even through! That was just her finally getting through the cartilage. Then, she gets all upset and is like "I can't finish. I just can't." and so, there I am, with this safety pin stuck through half my ear, and I'm thinking, "Well, it can't be any worse than it has been." And so I pushed on it with both hands and it slid through the rest of the way just fine. The lesson in all of this? If you're going to pierce your own ears, get something sharper than a safety pin*. *Ha, you thought there was going to be a real lesson, like "Leave it to the professionals," but you'd be wrong.

6 Comments:

Blogger Plimco said...

AAAK! Thank you for participating in my self proclaimed BLOOD! day.

I pierced my own belly button with a sewing needle once. I just remember my Aunt T calling after I had done it. "What are you up to, Plimco?" Oh...nothing...nothing at all...

Sewing needles work, but then you have a sewing needle sticking through your belly button. Both sides are sharp. You can't sit up without stabbing yourself. I eventually abandoned the idea of belly jewelry.

2/14/2006 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger Peggasus said...

You know, they sell these little piercing gun-thingies at places like Walgreens. All hygenic, the stud is in the barrell, you just aim and push. I did my son's ear myself when he was 16.

2/14/2006 08:14:00 AM  
Blogger Aunt B said...

Oh, sure, Peg, step in with a reasonable and sane answer.

But, hmm.

Maybe I will finish off that left ear now...

2/14/2006 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger SuperGenius said...

Cringe. I am just cringing. Everytime you tell that piercing story it makes me cringe and feel light headed. Of course, I knew what was coming but I kept reading. Then again, needles and I don't get along. The one time I had an IV I had to ask them to put a hand towel over where it went in my hand because when I looked at it I kinda sorta maybe passed out.

After that display of courage, I had to get my blood tested daily, weekly, monthly and now not at all so I had to buck up pretty fast. I like to induce a self trance by conjugating irregular Spanish verbs so if you run into the nervous lady chanting vaya, vayas, vaya, vayamos, vayƔis, vayan at the doctor's office that's me.

Did I mention I'm a big baby?

That is my contritubtion to blood and piercing day. Also, I have four piercings in my ears all accquired with much drama but I only use two of them.

I don't think I'll be running down to the drug store for a piercing gun any time soon.

2/14/2006 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger grandefille said...

Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow ow. And the piercing gun thing -- that SOUND. Like a stapler. Eeeeee.

But: Is it weird that it doesn't hurt me to check my blood sugar every day? Others complain all the time about the fingerstick, and I'm all, "Dude, what are you whining about? Here, do THIS (~poink splut~) and it's almost fun!" And of course they look at me and back away, being careful to stay between me and the exit.

I also enjoy donating platelets and whole blood. The former may be because there was a REEEEAAALLLY cute phlebotomist at the Nashville HQ for a long time. I used to call him Lestat. Oooh.

And I know if I were to ever get a tattoo, I'd be all Scully over it, except without the microscopic-critter-induced hallucinations. (You remember the ep. I know you do.)

I'll stop now. Before the laparascopic surgery story.

2/14/2006 02:10:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I have 6 in my left ear and 4 in my right. I'm so close to being done...although I think I could only fit maybe two more in the left.

2/15/2006 09:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home